Want to know how important is the “Role of database administrator” ,check out below article
Role of Database Administrator
Database Administrators commonly referred to as DBA, is a person or a group of people who make strategy decisions regarding the data of an enterprise or a database. Role of database administrator is very important .
Role of Database Administrator
Since a database could be very vast and can accommodate various users, so one person can’t control all the activities of the database, so in that case, a group of DBAs are required who will share all the responsibilities and work in coordination.
The Roles and Responsibilities of DBAs are as follows:
- Installation and Configuration and upgradation of the Oracle server.
- Capacity Planning
- Creation of Database objects (Tables, Views, Procedures ,Packages etc)
- Creation of Data Security Activities (creation of Users,Roles, Privileges etc)
- Define Backup and Recovery procedures and scripts.
- Monitor Oracle Database Performance issues and take appropriate actions.
- Monitor disk space issues
- Troubleshooting in case of any problems, a DBA needs to quickly understand and respond to problems when they occur.
- Contact the Oracle Corporation if they need any help regarding technical support.
- Review and evaluate the software, hardware, service delivery, and updates when required.
- Applying Oracle Patches
- Provide technical support to application development teams usually the help desk
- Maintain proper documentation on oracle database maintenance procedures for future usage.
- Protection of the database files from loss or Corruption.
- Responsible for Data Loading activities.
Role of DBA
As part of “Role of DBA” , many activities are discussed.
In a given project not all are performed by single DBA.
Based on the amount of work , activities are assigned to each DBA.
For Example , in a development project , all development dba activities like
- Setup of development database environment
- Helping development team in creating object, test tables , test data etc
- Granting Roles and Privileges to development team
- Setting up UAT Environment (User Acceptance Testing Environment)
- Test Data Loading in Development and UAT Environment.
- Coordinating with Production DBA for moving “Enhancement Code” to Production Environment.
Daily Roles of Oracle DBA:-
- Check all instances are up
- Make sure the database is available.
- Log into each instance and run daily reports or Test Scripts.
- Some Projects have automation for such activities / Oracle Enterprise Manager /Third Party Tools
- Check for
- New recent alert log entries
- ORA – Errors
- Check Validity of backups
- Validate Archive Log Files
- Ensure enough resources are available for acceptable performance of Database.
- Ensure enough free mb/Gb in tablespaces
- For every database instance, check enough free space exists in each tablespace to handle the day’s expected growth.
- Check for Invalid Objects ( Example Invalid Indexes, Invalid Packages , Procedures etc)
- Monitor contention for
- Network or
- Disk resources
- Enhance knowledge by reading Oracle DBA manuals for one hour
HOW TO BECOME ORACLE DBA
- The Oracle DBA must have good communication skills to work with the development team and other team members.
- DBA should know all the basics and should have a good understanding of the database.
- Then DBA can perform his role of database administrator.
0 responses on "Role of Database Administrator | DBVidya"